Wednesday 1 January 2014



2





1






"Silence is so accurate that words would only paralyse the viewers mind and imagination" 
Mark Rothko



I am interested Mark Rothko, as his classic paintings from the 1950's are characterised by large dimensions and simplified forms and brilliant hues. I was first drawn to this particular image as i liked the way the colours slowly merged onto one another allowing the viewers eyes to move quietly from one side to the other without any harsh lines, just like ones eye can softly travel through the sky of a sunken sun and into darkness. It reminded me of the similar effects that i was trying to create in my first shoot. Rothko was not interested in the relationship of colour or form but used it to express basic human emotions. Rothko asked viewers to stand close in order to be visually surrounded by the colours. His goal was for colour to, in his words, "express . . . basic human emotions - tragedy, ecstasy, doom. . . . The people who weep before my pictures are having the same experience I had when I painted them."3
Rothko also created paintings for the Rothko Chapel in 1964. there are fourteen of his paintings which do not feature the luminous color fields that made Rothko famous, but are a series of black paintings, which incorporated other dark hues and texture effects. The hue of the paintings vary on the lightning of the moment of the day. Rothko said that "bright colors sort of stop your vision at the canvas, where dark colors go beyond. And definitely you're looking at the beyond. You're looking at the infinite."
I wanted to create an atmospheric space and originally i was only thinking about placing my work into a gallery, however Rothko has inspirerd me that my work could explore other areas in places where people go to reflect.